27 November 2011

California Meteor 26NOV2011

Camarillo, CA Saw Meteor! between 8:00- 8:30 p.m. 26NOV2011
I had just parked my car and collected mail from the mailbox, then walked up the driveway to enter my home and looked to my left which is west facing toward the Pacific Ocean. I’m not certain on the exact time because I was off my regular schedule, but think it was easily between 8:00-8:30 p.m. this evening. It was quite a large white and yellowish mainly round ball that was moving at a moderate rate of speed. I was taken by surprise (by the size) and to the best of my recollection, it appeared to be moving downward and disappeared. I don’t believe I saw a tail of any type, but that it was fairly large, larger than a shooting star, and light and bright. Patti B
Thank you Patti!

Laurel Canyon, CA
We (girlfriend and a couple other people) spotted a meteor (same as reported from Patti in Camarillo, CA) on Saturday Nov 26th, approximately 2000 - 2030 hrs.
Date & Time: Nov 26, 2011 / 2000-2030 hrs Location: Laurel Canyon, CA
Start & Stop: Streaking green/blue with a tail/trailing debris(?) from west to east overhead; not extremely fast - and not slow. As it reached approximately 60 degrees above (and to the east), it seemingly dropped/fell and broke up as it faded out.  Duration: The event seemed to last (from the time it caught our eye) approximately three seconds. Brightness: Very bright - much brighter than the planets, and bigger. We didn't catch any video or photos.
Also, I was fortunate enough to witness the big, green fireball in September too: I was motoring on my sailboat along the backside (south side) of Santa Cruz Island - the Channel Islands off the coast of Ventura, CA, when I saw it - that was a trip! Cheers, Tom V.  Thank you Tom!
Any other sighting reports?
Please report: Date and Time of event? Location name (town,city) where you were when saw the meteor? Start and Stop location in sky? Direction of movement? Duration of Event (seconds)? Brightness ( in comparison with Venus, Moon, Sun) color, sounds? Photos? Videos? please email LunarMeteoriteHunter@gmail.com Your reports make it possible for all to check what they saw as well. Thank you! 2011 The Year of Meteors!